A climate-based building facade is a filter, between exterior and interior that creates comfortable internal living conditions.
Climate-based component facade design strategies include:
- Passive cooling
- Shaded walls and glazing
- Natural ventilation
- Reflected daylighting
- Light exterior colors
- Insulation (min.): RSI 2.8 (R 16)
- Glazing: double
- Warm Season: Passive cooling, shaded gazing, reflected daylighting.
- Cold Season: Passive solar heating, daylighting.
- Insulation (min.): RSI 3.5 (R 20)
- Glazing: double (thermal break)
- Passive solar heating, daylighting.
- Insulation (min.): RSI 4.1 (R 23)
- Glazing: double (thermal break, moveable insulation)
Strategies may vary with a detailed analysis. For masonry walls, use 1/3 the insulation value (minimum) in hot, 1/2 in temperate, and 2/3 in cold climates. Locate insulation on the exterior face of masonry walls.